(2017) (Aubrey Plaza, Elizabeth Olsen) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A young woman who's obsessed with social media befriends a popular Internet figure who isn't aware of the woman's true intentions.
- Ingrid Thorburn (AUBREY PLAZA) is a young woman who's obsessed with social media, especially following her mother's recent death. After a stint in a mental hospital following an attack on another woman who didn't invite Ingrid to her wedding, she becomes intrigued by Instagram star Taylor Sloane (ELIZABETH OLSEN), what with reading a story about her and her desire to be everyone's friend. Of course, Taylor meant that in reference to online "friends," but Ingrid mistakes that and after a few meaningless online exchanges she becomes obsessed with her. So much so that after inheriting a decent amount of money from her mother, Ingrid moves to Santa Monica where Taylor lives with her struggling artist husband, Ezra O'Keefe (WYATT RUSSELL).
After renting a room from aspiring screenwriter Dan Pinto (O'SHEA JACKSON JR.), Ingrid sets out to get herself into Taylor's life and abducts her dog so that she can pretend to find the pooch, be the hero of the story, and become friends with Taylor. That ends up working and the two become best friends, but things become complicated when Taylor's recovering alcoholic brother, Nicky (BILLY MAGNUSSEN), shows up with word that he met an even bigger Internet star than Taylor, Harley Chung (POM KLEMENTIEFF), and that the two women should meet.
That obviously doesn't sit well with Ingrid who now believes her relationship with Taylor has been compromised. As her obsession turns into something more disturbing, she does what she can to remain relevant in Taylor's eyes as well as on the Internet.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Tweens and teens might since it features a young cast and involves social media.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language throughout, drug use, some sexual content and disturbing behavior.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2017 Screen It, Inc.