(2017) (Margot Robbie, Allison Janney) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Dramedy: An Olympic hopeful, abused most of her life, tries to return to the Olympics, only to have her ex-husband and his buddy throw a monkey wrench into her plans.
- Years after an incident before the 1994 Winter Olympic Games became a sensational news story known around the world, a number of pivotal figures in that are interviewed for their take regarding their involvement in the attack on figure skater Nancy Kerrigan (CAITLIN CARVER).
Of course, that directly involves skating rival Tonya Harding (MARGOT ROBBIE) who grew up with a demanding and physically abusive mother in LaVona Golden (ALLISON JANNEY) with whom she's now mostly estranged from as a young adult.
But just like she contended with abuse as a child, she continued to experience that at the hands of her boyfriend, Jeff Gillooly (SEBASTIAN STAN), who eventually became her husband in a tormented marriage.
And things then got worse when he and his would-be bodyguard pal, Shawn (PAUL WALTER HAUSER), decided to help out Tonya's chances of going for the gold by eliminating her rival. As their look-back perspectives intertwine, we come to see what formed Tonya into the person she was at the height of her success, as well as what happened following the attack.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Those interested in the real-life story might be interested as might anyone who's a fan of someone in the cast.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For pervasive language, violence, and some sexual content/nudity.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2018 Screen It, Inc.