(2017) (Ice Cube, Charlie Day) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Comedy: The toughest, meanest teacher at a high school challenges the wimpiest teacher on staff to a fight after he inadvertently gets him fired.
- Andy Campbell (CHARLIE DAY) is a rather wimpy English teacher in a tough private high school, who fears the latest round of budget cuts will mean his termination. He has a wife, Maggie (JoANNA GARCIA SWISHER), who is pregnant with their second child and a daughter, Ally (ALEXA NISENSON), who is being bullied at her elementary school and needs her dad to perform with her at her school's talent show.
Andy, though, is having the worst day at school. It's the last day of classes before summer break, and the seniors are pulling non-stop pranks. One of those pranks ends up inadvertently causing Andy to get a fellow teacher, Strickland (ICE CUBE), fired by Principal Tyler (DEAN NORRIS). But Strickland isn't just any ordinary teacher. He is an extremely foul-tempered, violent hulk of a man who challenges Andy to a fistfight after school. News of their impending brawl spreads like wildfire through the school, then across social media.
Andy seeks help from other staff members, including guidance counselor Holly (JILLIAN BELL), who has the hots for the school's top jock; Crawford (TRACY MORGAN), the school's straight-talking gym teacher and football coach; and Ms. Monet (CHRISTINA HENDRICKS), the French teacher who ends up siding with Strickland and plotting Andy's demise. Andy pulls out all the stops to get the fight called off, including enlisting the school's snarky drug-dealing sophomore, Neil (AUSTIN ZAJUR). But his fate seems sealed.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- With the high school setting, older teens will definitely have some interest.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language throughout, sexual content/nudity, and drug material. Interestingly, the MPAA did not cite the film's violence.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2019 Screen It, Inc.