(2017) (voices of John Cena, Kate McKinnon) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Animated Comedy: An oversized bull who doesn't believe in violence must contend with being sent to a ranch that raises bulls for bullfighting.
- As a young bull, Ferdinand (voice of COLIN H. MURPHY) is being raised at Casa del Toro, a bullfighting ranch run by Sr. Moreno (voice of RAUL ESPARZA). Unlike the other child bulls there and their fathers, Ferdinand has no interest in bullfighting or any sort of violence for that matter. And thus when his father is chosen to fight in Madrid but never comes back, Ferdinand runs away from the camp, escapes on a train, and ends up on a farm filled with his favorite things -- flowers -- where a young girl, Nina (voice of LILY DAY), becomes his best friend.
With the passage of time, however, Ferdinand (voice of JOHN CENA) has now grown into a monstrosity of a bull, although he's still as passive as ever. But when a bee stings him on the rear and he causes a great deal of accidental damage to a market and scares everyone there in the process, he's captured and sent away -- back to Case del Toro. There, he's paired with a calming goat, Lupe (voice of KATE McKINNON), who isn't very good at her job, and finds himself back in the company of his childhood bull acquaintances.
While the likes of Bones (voice of ANTHONY ANDERSON) and Guapo (voice of PEYTON MANNING) are intimidated by Ferdinand's size, Scottish bull Angus (voice of DAVID TENNANT) can't see him and genetically modified Maquina (voice of TIM NORDQUIST) acts like a robot, Valiente (voice of BOBBY CANNAVALE) takes up with his bullying of Ferdinand from where he left off.
Valiente is determined to be chosen to battle legendary bullfighter El Primero (voice of MIGUEL ANGEL SILVESTRE) and thus repeatedly puts Ferdinand in his place, as do a trio of Austrian or German show horses -- Hans (voice of FLULA BORG), Greta (voice of SALLY PHILLIPS), and Klaus (voice of BORIS KODJOE) -- who live in the next corral over. But along with Lupe who now considers Ferdinand her best friend, the pacifist bull finds allies in a trio of hedgehogs -- Una (voice of GINA RODRIGUEZ), Dos (voice of DAVEED DIGGS) and Cuatro (voice of GABRIEL IGLESIAS) -- who live on the ranch and help conspire to free him from that facility.
With El Primero wanting the best bull to battle in Madrid and setting his sights on Ferdinand, the bull must do what he can to escape that situation, especially when the alternative is to be sent to the chop house for beef processing.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they enjoy animated movies featuring talking animals, they probably will.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For rude humor, action and some thematic elements.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2019 Screen It, Inc.