(2017) (Amandla Stenberg, Nick Robinson) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A teenager who's confined to her home due to an immune deficiency ends up falling for the boy who moves in next door.
- Maddy Whittier (AMANDLA STENBERG) is an 18-year-old girl suffering from SCID (Severe Combined Immunodeficiency). As a result, she hasn't left her house in the past seventeen years where she lives with her mom, Pauline (ANIKA NONI ROSE), a physician. Her only other direct human contact comes from her personal nurse, Carla (ANA DE LA REGUERA), and that woman's daughter, all of which has left the teenager longing to meet other people in person and see the world. All of which she knows will never happen, what with the likelihood of becoming ill or maybe even dying should she contract something.
Things change, however, when teenager Olly Bright (NICK ROBINSON) moves in next door with his parents and sister. With their bedroom windows facing each other, the two teens become friends via text messages, and that then blossoms into something more. Sensing this and not telling Pauline, Carla allows Olly to enter the house and interact with Maddy, albeit at a distance. That only further intensifies their teen romance bond, as well as Maddy's wanderlust to see the rest of the world.
As she strives to make that a reality, she must contend with her mother's objections, as well as the possibility that doing so could endanger her life.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Teenage girls might be drawn in by the teen romance story.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For thematic elements and brief sensuality.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2019 Screen It, Inc.