(2017) (Tom Cruise, Domhnall Gleeson) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama/Black Comedy: An airline pilot is hired by the CIA to fly covert flights for them involving their operations in Central America, all while simultaneously being hired by a drug cartel to smuggle their cocaine into the U.S.
- It's the late 1970s and Barry Seal (TOM CRUISE) is a TWA pilot based in Louisiana who makes a little extra cash occasionally smuggling Cuban cigars into the U.S. His actions have not gone unnoticed by the feds, but rather than arrest him, CIA agent Monty Schafer (DOMHNALL GLEESON) hires him to fly covert recon flights over Central America. Keeping his wife, Lucy (SARAH WRIGHT), in the dark by saying he's starting his own airline consulting business, Barry begins his CIA work that then goes on to include delivering money to Col. Noriega in exchange for intel he provides the U.S. government.
That draws the attention of drug figures Jorge Ochoa (ALEJANDRO EDDA) and Pablo Escobar (MAURICIO MEJIA), but rather than have him killed, they hire him to fly their cocaine back into the U.S. in exchange for a handsome handler's fee. He agrees and the money starts pouring in, especially when the feds move him to Arkansas, give him a lot of land, and have him fly guns down to the Contras in Nicaragua, all while flying their soldiers back to the States for training.
With his unusual business booming, Barry hires additional smuggler pilots, but things become complicated when Lucy's good-for-nothing, freeloader brother, JB (CALEB LANDRY JONES), shows up and finds his sister and brother-in-law living a life of wealth. From that point on, Barry does what he can to keep him from hampering or derailing their operations, all while becoming deeper entrenched with both the feds and the Central American drug lords.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens might, especially if they're fans of Cruise or anyone else in the cast.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language throughout and some sexuality/nudity.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2018 Screen It, Inc.