(2016) (James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Superhero Action: A group of good mutants must contend with some bad ones teaming up with a resurrected Egyptian leader, who's also a powerful mutant and wants to cleanse the Earth for a renewal.
- It's 1983, ten years after various mutants battled to save Washington, D.C. and various government officials, including the President, and then went their separate ways. Magneto, a.k.a. Erik Lehnsherr (MICHAEL FASSBENDER), is living an assumed life in Poland with his wife and daughter, working as a factory man where no one knows of his powers. Shape-shifter Moira MacTaggert (JENNIFER LAWRENCE), a.k.a. Mystique, is out saving fellow mutants from abuse, including young teleporter Kurt Wagner (KODI SMIT-McPHEE), a.k.a. Nightcrawler, from an electrified cage fight with winged combatant Angel (BEN HARDY). And telepath Charles Xavier (JAMES McAVOY) is once again running his Institute for Gifted Youngsters, where the latest addition is high school mutant Scott Summers (TYE SHERIDAN).
Later to be known as Cyclops, he can't control his laser vision, and his older brother and fellow mutant, Alex (LUCAS TILL), believes Charles and his right-hand mutant, Hank McCoy (NICHOLAS HOULT) -- who can turn into the Beast -- can help him. That isn't lost on Jean Grey (SOPHIE TURNER), another troubled young mutant who has problems controlling her telepathic and telekinetic powers. But they all learn there are bigger problems at play in the world, and that's namely from the resurrection of En Sabah Nur (OSCAR ISAAC), an Egyptian mutant from thousands of years ago who gained near ultimate power by assimilating abilities from other mutants.
Now unleashed and as seen by CIA agent Moira MacTaggert (ROSE BYRNE) -- who once was involved with Charles but had her memories wiped by him -- En Sabah Nur, a.k.a. Apocalypse, desires to wipe the Earth clean and start anew with the survivors, and goes about assembling his latest version of the four horsemen of the apocalypse. First up is Ororo Munroe (ALEXANDRA SHIPP), a young mutant thief who can control the weather and will later become Storm, followed by Elizabeth Braddock (OLIVIA MUNN), a.k.a. Psylocke, who has telepathic and telekinetic abilities. Angel is also brought into the fold, as is Magneto, with Apocalypse enhancing all of their powers.
As those five commence with the cleansing of the Earth, Charles, and the other mutants, including Magneto's son, Peter Maximoff (EVAN PETERS) -- who zips around at high speed as Quicksilver -- prepare to stop them, all while having a brief run-in with a powerful and dangerous mutant experiment now known as Wolverine (HUGH JACKMAN).
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're fans of any of the other "X-Men" films they probably will.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For sequences of violence, action and destruction, brief strong language and some suggestive images.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2019 Screen It, Inc.