(2016) (Emily Blunt, Haley Bennett) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Dramatic Thriller: An alcoholic woman who's prone to blackouts tries to figure out if she might have killed a young woman while mistaking her for her ex-husband's new wife.
- Rachel (EMILY BLUNT) is an alcoholic woman whose life was upended a few years back when her then-husband, Tom (JUSTIN THEROUX), left her for his assistant, Anna (REBECCA FERGUSON), to whom he's now married with a child. It doesn't help that Rachel travels past her old house via a commuter train each day, but while she's still fixated on Tom and fantasizes about violence on Anna, she's become obsessed with the life of a young woman just a few doors down.
And that would be Megan (HALEY BENNETT), a young woman who bears something of a resemblance to Anna and who Rachel never met but imagines must have a perfect life with her husband, Scott (LUKE EVANS). But what Rachel doesn't realize is that Megan isn't happy in her life or marriage, something she relates to her therapist, Dr. Kamal Abdic (EDGAR RAMIREZ). And being employed as the nanny for Anna and Tom isn't working out either.
When she goes missing, Rachel pretends to be a work friend in order to meet Scott, something that draws the attention of Det. Riley (ALLISON JANNEY) who's investigating the case and casts a suspicious eye on Rachel as well as others who may or may not be involved. As that occurs, Rachel -- who suffers from blackouts due to her drinking and fragile mental state -- tries to figure out if she might be the actual culprit in that disappearance.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Teens might have an interest, especially if they're fans of the novel or anyone in the cast.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For violence, sexual content, language and nudity.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2018 Screen It, Inc.