(2016) (Shailene Woodley, Theo James) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Action: A teenager of the distant future finds more than she bargained for when she and a small group of people head off into the post-apocalyptic wasteland outside their walled city.
- In the distant future, war has ravaged most of the planet and what's left of Chicago has been turned into a walled-in fortress. In order to maintain the peace and keep everyone in line, the populace had previously been divided into six factions. There was Abnegation (the selfless), Amity (the peaceful), Candor (the honest), Dauntless (the brave protectors), Erudite (the Intelligent), and Factionless (those who don't fit into the previous five and are essentially homeless scavengers).
And then there are the so-called divergents who didn't fit squarely into any of the categories and thus were deemed a threat to the status quo. One of them is Beatrice "Tris" Prior (SHAILENE WOODLEY), a teenager who led a rebellion against the ruthless but now dead, former dictator. She wants her former instructor turned lover, Tobias "Four" Eaton (THEO JAMES), to join her in exploring the world outside the wall. But Four's estranged mother, Evelyn (NAOMI WATTS) -- now one of the joint rulers of the city, along with the more peaceful Johanna (OCTAVIA SPENCER) -- has closed the wall and won't let anyone leave, what with having death execution trials of those who previously sided with the former ruler.
Among those defendants is Tris' brother, Caleb (ANSEL ELGORT), and despite him having turned his back on his sister, she has Four free him from confinement. Along with former initiates Christina (ZOE KRAVITZ) and Peter (MILES TELLER) who's only looking out for himself, they manage to scale the wall and head into the outside world, now nothing more than a vast, post-apocalyptic wasteland. While fleeing from Evelyn's main goon, Edgar (JOHNNY WESTON), they end up rescued by an advanced militarized force that takes them back to the Bureau of Genetic Welfare. Their liaison, Matthew (BILL SKARSGARD) introduces Tris to David (JEFF DANIELS), the director the Bureau.
He's been in control of Chicago, running the city as an experiment to see if humans could evolve away from past genetic manipulation that eventually turned people against one another. He believes he's found that in Tris, but Four -- who's been assigned work duties along with Caleb, Christina and Peter -- worries that David might be up to no good. When that's realized, he and Tris do what they can to prevent a disaster back in Chicago.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're fans of either of the first two films in the series, they probably will.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For intense violence and action, thematic elements, and some partial nudity.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2017 Screen It, Inc.