(2016) (Paul Dano, Daniel Radcliffe) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Dramedy: A suicidal man marooned on a deserted island is given a new lease on life when a corpse washes up on shore and the two become "friends."
- Hank (PAUL DANO) is a suicidal man who has been marooned on a deserted island for some time. He is about to hang himself when he spots a male dead body (DANIEL RADCLIFFE) that has washed up on the beach. Hank still nearly hangs himself, but he is able to free himself from the noose and rush over to the dead body. He administers CPR, but it only seems to trigger a flatulence reflex. The corpse becomes so spectacularly flatulent that Hank is able to ride him like a jet ski off the island and out to sea.
He soon loses control and loses consciousness and wakes up on another beach on the edge of a thick wilderness. The dead body has washed up with him, and Hank sets off with the corpse into the woods to try and find civilization. He eventually comes to believe the corpse has amazing powers, reacquires the ability of speech, and believes his name to be Manny.
Together, Hank and Manny form an offbeat friendship and Manny comes to ask about all things related to Hank and the world -- chiefly love, sex, masturbation, and family ... specifically Hank's strained relationship with his father (RICHARD GROSS) in the years following the passing of his mom at a young age. Manny falls for a photo of a woman named Sarah (MARY ELIZABETH WINSTEAD) on Hank's dying cell phone, who turns out to be a young female he had stalked on a bus for many days before getting lost at sea. This gives him an erection that Hank believes is a compass back to civilization. Is it all in his mind, or is Manny really a reanimated being who is really helping him?
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- This is a pretty hard R rating. But anytime you have the actor who played Harry Potter himself in a featured role, there will be some interest.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language and sexual material.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2018 Screen It, Inc.