(2016) (Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Sci-Fi: A man and then woman must contend with being brought out of deep hibernation decades before scheduled on a 120-year trip to colonize another planet.
- The interstellar spaceship Avalon is on a 120-year one-way journey to Homestead II, a planet that the 258 crewmembers and 5,000 passengers -- all of them in deep hibernation -- intend to colonize. But something goes wrong and one of the passengers, Jim Preston (CHRIS PRATT), is awakened too early. As in 90 years too early, with no one else around except for the android bartender Arthur (MICHAEL SHEEN) who's happy to serve Jim a drink, but otherwise knows nothing about how the ship operates.
After a year with no human contact and having exhausted his attempts to break into the sealed bridge in order to turn the ship around, Jim begins to contemplate bringing another passenger out of deep hibernation so that he doesn't live out the rest of his life alone. Despite the moral dilemma, and having become enamored with her via video clip files he's found, Jim brings passenger Aurora Lane (JENNIFER LAWRENCE) out of stasis. She's a writer looking for a grand adventure that will inspire her creative work, but she's shocked to learn she's come out decades too soon, and Jim is waiting for the right time to tell her what he's done. In the meantime, they eventually fall for one another and become a couple.
When she finally discovers what he did, that puts an end to that romance. From that point on, they must not only contend with that, but also increasing glitches and failures on the ship, some of which result in Chief Gus Mancuso (LAURENCE FISHBURNE) also coming out of hibernation too soon.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're fans of Pratt or Lawrence or if they're into sci-fi movies, they might.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For sexuality, nudity and action/peril.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2017 Screen It, Inc.