(2016) (Asa Butterfield, Eva Green) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Fantasy/Action: A teen befriends a group of special kids who exist within a repeating 24-hour loop where they're protected by a caring but strict headmistress from those who wish to do them harm.
- Jacob "Jake" Portman (ASA BUTTERFIELD) is a teenager who's grown up hearing fascinating stories told to him by his grandfather, Abraham Portman (TERENCE STAMP), about a group of interesting children with amazing abilities he knew when he was younger, something Jake's parents don't believe. But when Abraham ends up dead, they and Jake's therapist, Dr. Golan (ALLISON JANEY), believe it would be best for him to travel to the place his grandfather mentioned, all as a means of closure.
Accordingly, Jake and his dad, Franklin (CHRIS O'DOWD), travel to an island off the coast of Wales, but Jake is dismayed to learn the large manor home his grandfather mentioned has been uninhabited and in ruins since a Nazi bomb damaged the place back during WWII. But when Jake ventures into the old building, he's shocked to discover he's entered a 24-hour repeating loop set on September 3, 1943.
There, Miss Peregrine (EVA GREEN) cares for a group of teen and preteen children known as peculiars who possess unique abilities. They include teenager Emma Bloom (ELLA PURNELL) who can control all things related to air; Olive (LAUREN McCROSTIE) who has pyrokinetic powers; and Enoch (FINLAY MacMILLAN) who can bring the dead or animate figures back to life by placing small hearts in them. There's also Millard (CAMERON KING) an invisible boy; Bronwyn (PIXIE DAVIES) who's small but super strong; Fiona (GEORGIA PEMBERTON) who can control plants; Hugh (MILO PARKER) who has bees inside his body; Claire (RAFFIELLA CHAPMAN) who has a mouth in the back of her head; Horace (HAYDEN KEELER-STONE) who has prophetic dreams; and the Masked Twins (JOSEPH & THOMAS ODWELL) who possess a hidden and deadly curse.
Jake not only learns that his grandfather often visited all of them in that particular time, but that Miss Peregrine -- a Ymbryne who can control the time loop and has the ability to turn into a falcon -- always has to remain on watch for those who want to harm them. And that comes in the form of shape-shifter Mr. Barron (SAMUEL L. JACKSON) who leads a group of undead humans known as the Wights and uses monstrous versions of themselves known as hollowgasts to kill peculiars and others for their eyeballs.
When the group learns from Peregrin's fellow Ymbryne associate, Miss Avocet (JUDI DENCH), that Mr. Barron and his followers are coming their way, Jake must decide whether to return to the present or stay in the past and help his new friends battle the villains.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- It's a good bet some will, especially if they're fans of the novel of the same name or anyone in the cast.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For intense sequences of fantasy action/violence and peril
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2017 Screen It, Inc.