(2016) (Emma Stone, Ryan Gosling) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Musical: An aspiring actress and a jazz musician fall in love while pursuing their dreams in Los Angeles.
- Mia Dolan (EMMA STONE) has been in Los Angeles for a number of years, hoping to get her big break and land an acting gig, but so far the closest she's gotten to that is working as a barista in the Warner Bros. studio coffee shop. Sebastian Wilder (RYAN GOSLING) is a jazz traditionalist who wants to open his own jazz club to keep that form of music alive, but so far he must take gigs he feels are below him -- playing Christmas songs in a restaurant and being part of a retro '80s new wave cover band -- to make ends meet.
When the two meet, sparks fly, but of the wrong kind, something that carries over to their second meeting months later. But they eventually sense kindred spirits in one another and soon a romance develops between the two. That gives her confidence to start writing her own one-woman stage play, while he finally agrees to join fellow jazz magician Keith (JOHN LEGEND) and perform in his band that's trying to modernize jazz in order to bring it to a younger audience.
But as the two pursue their dreams, those quests eventually mean ever more time apart, all of which puts a strain on their relationship. From that point on, they try to figure out what to do and weigh the pros and cons of continuing on their quests, particularly as related to how that will affect them as a couple going forward.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're fans of old-fashioned Hollywood musicals and/or are fans of Stone or Gosling, they probably will.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For some language.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2017 Screen It, Inc.