(2016) (Edgar Ramirez, Robert De Niro) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A headstrong boxer must contend with what success does to his career and life.
- Having grown up poor in Panama and viewing the U.S. military occupation of the Canal Zone, Roberto Duran (EDGAR RAMIREZ) has long had a distaste for all things American. Now a young adult, he's risen to the top of Panama's boxing world thanks to the work of his trainer Nestor Quinones and businessman-promoter, Carlos Eleta (RUBEN BLADES). The latter needs someone to take Roberto to the next level and believes that Ray Arcel (ROBERT DE NIRO) is the man for the job. After all, he's previously trained and managed 18 boxing champions, but was forced out of the sport by mob figures not happy with his desire to take boxing national via TV.
That's just fine by his wife, Stephanie (ELLEN BARKIN), but Ray can't resist the temptation of having another champion and thus offers to train Roberto for free, something he hopes will be okay with mob representative Frankie Carbo (JOHN TURTURRO). Despite his tendencies to be a hot-head and ignore Ray's advice, Roberto becomes an even bigger boxing sensation, eventually getting the chance to battle Sugar Ray Leonard (USHER) in the ring, with Roberto's wife, Felicidad (ANA DE ARMAS), enjoying the spoils of his victories, as does his childhood street mentor, Chaflan (OSCAR JAENADA). But when Roberto does the same and quickly lets himself fall out of shape, it's a question about whether he'll be able to get back to the top of his game for a rematch with Leonard.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're into boxing movies and/or might be a fan of anyone in the cast, they could have some interest.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language throughout and some sexuality/nudity.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2017 Screen It, Inc.