(2016) (Denzel Washington, Viola Davis) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A 1950s era trash man must contend with the decisions he makes in his life regarding his wife and teenage son.
- It's the mid-1950s and Troy (DENZEL WASHINGTON) is a former baseball player who now works as a trash man in Detroit alongside his good friend, Bono (STEPHEN HENDERSON). After work, the two enjoy sharing a bottle in Troy's backyard while his wife of eighteen years, Rose (VIOLA DAVIS), enjoys listening to their banter. Less enamored of that is their teenage son, Cory (JOVAN ADEPO), who's lived most of his life in fear of his stern father, and he isn't pleased that his dad is threatening to squash his dreams of playing college football. Cory isn't Troy's only child, though, as Lyons (RUSSELL HORNSBY) is a 30-something son from a previous relationship. He's a guitarist who doesn't want a regular job to interfere with his dreams and thus often stops by to ask his dad for money.
Despite being frugal, Troy has some cash, what with having received a $3,000 settlement from the government as guardian of his adult brother, Gabriel (MYKELTI WILLIAMSON), who suffered brain damage during the war and hasn't been the same since. Troy feels some guilt over using that money to buy his and Rose's house, and wishes he could do more for his sibling who's friendly to all, but whose actions sometimes get him in trouble with the law.
Troy gets into some trouble of his own when it's revealed he's been having an affair and will soon be a father again. Things become more complicated when they become the guardians of that child who eventually grows up into young Raynell (SANIYYA SIDNEY). But before then, Troy and Rose must contend with his infidelity and its impact on their marriage, all while friction and tension continue to increase between Troy and Cory.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Teens might, especially if they're fans of Denzel or Viola.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For thematic elements, language and some suggestive references.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2017 Screen It, Inc.