(2016) (Jake Gyllenhaal, Naomi Watts) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: An investment banker, emotionally stunted by his wife's accidental death, decides to take his life apart, all while coming to know a customer service rep and her troubled teenage son.
- Davis Mitchell (JAKE GYLLENHAAL) is a successful investment banker, married to Julia (HEATHER LIND), and an employee of the investment firm run by her father, Phil (CHRIS COOPER). Davis and Julia's marriage isn't the best, and he comes to realize that when both are struck by a vehicle and she dies from her injuries. Phil and his wife, Margot (POLLY DRAPER), are devastated by this loss, but Davis can't get himself to cry and instead tries to continue on with his life, all while coming to the realization that he never really knew Julia and probably didn't truly love her.
He reveals some of this through letters written to Karen Moreno (NAOMI WATTS), a customer service rep for a vending machine company run by her boyfriend boss, Carl (C.J. WILSON). She feels compassion for Davis and starts having additional contact with him, something that doesn't sit well with Carl. But when he must go out of town on business, Karen and Davis strike up a real friendship, including Davis getting to know her troubled and sexually confused teenage son, Chris (JUDAH LEWIS).
As that progresses, Davis comes to realize he never really paid attention to things in his life, and thus feels the need to deconstruct all of that, including the eventual slow demolition of his house, to figure out who he truly is.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens seem the most likely audience among kids, especially those who are fans of anyone in the cast.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language, some sexual references, drug use and disturbing behavior.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2018 Screen It, Inc.