(2016) (Miles Teller, Aaron Eckhart) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A boxer attempts to return to the ring after a car accident leaves him severely injured.
- It's the late 1980s and super lightweight boxing champion Vinny Pazienza (MILES TELLER) has been defeated in his attempt to win in the junior welterweight division. That defeat leads his trainer, Lou Duva (TED LEVINE), to drop him, something that doesn't sit well with Vinny's father, Angelo (CIARAN HINDS), who's always in his corner during fights, unlike his wife, Louise (KATEY SAGAL), who can't even bring herself to watch their son's bouts on TV.
In steps washed-up trainer Kevin Rooney (AARON ECKHART) who once trained Mike Tyson before problems with alcohol derailed his career. He hopes for a second chance with Vinny and believes the boxer should fight in a higher weight class rather than always dehydrating himself to compete in a lower one. Their work together eventually leads to success, but a sudden car accident leaves Vinny with a broken neck.
As his parents, sister Doreen (AMANDA CLAYTON), and girlfriend Ashley (CHRISTINE EVANGELISTA) hope he won't end up paralyzed, Vinny is determined not only to avoid that, but also to get back into the ring. From that point on, and despite the long odds, inherent danger, and no one initially believing in him, he works hard to make that happen.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're into boxing movies and/or are fans of Teller or anyone else in the cast, they might be interested.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language, sexuality/nudity and some accident images.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2018 Screen It, Inc.