(2016) (Mia Wasikowska, Johnny Depp) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Fantasy/Adventure: A 19th-century teen returns to a fantastical world and then travels back into its past in hopes of saving the Mad Hatter's family and thus him in the present.
- It's 1875 and after three years of sailing around the world in her late father's ship as its captain, twenty-something Alice (MIA WASIKOWSKA) has returned to London to learn that her former but spurned suitor, Hamish Ascot (LEO BILL), now runs the business of which Alice's mother, Helen (LINDSAY DUNCAN), is part owner. Upon hearing that her mother sold her shares and that their ship must now be signed over to Hamish or they'll lose their house -- all of which means Alice will likely become a lowly clerk for him -- Alice follows her old friend, the butterfly Absolem (voice of ALAN RICKMAN), through a magic mirror back into the magical world of Underland.
There, she encounters her friends from before, including the White Rabbit (voice of MICHAEL SHEEN), a hare in a waistcoat and carrying a pocket watch; twins Tweedledee (MATT LUCAS) and Tweedledum (MATT LUCAS); feisty dormouse Mallymkun (voice of BARBARA WINDSOR); the bodiless and often vanishing Cheshire Cat (voice of STEPHEN FRY); bloodhound Bayard (voice of TIMOTHY SPALL); March Hare (voice of PAUL WHITEHOUSE); and Mirana, the White Queen (ANNE HATHAWAY).
They're all concerned about their fellow friend, the Mad Hatter (JOHNNY DEPP), who isn't acting like himself. It seems he's found the first hat he ever made as a child for his father, Zanik Hightopp (RHYS IFANS), and believes that must mean if it survived, then so must have his father and the rest of his family who were believed to have perished in the past.
To make things right, and since she's the only one who can do so as she has no past self in Underland, Alice volunteers to travel back in time to save them from a fierce dragon known as Jabberwocky who was unleashed by the White Queen's vengeful sister, the Red Queen (HELENA BONHAM CARTER).
But to do so, Alice must visit Time himself (SACHA BARON COHEN) and ask to borrow the chronosphere from the master clock. It can turn into a time machine, but he refuses her request, a similar response given to the Red Queen when she wants the same to get revenge on her sister and rule the past, present, and future. Undeterred, Alice steals the device and travels to the past, with Time in hot pursuit. As she progressively travels further back in time, Alice discovers the truth about various characters and tries to fix things, unaware that it's difficult to change the past.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're fans of the previous "Alice in Wonderland" movie with the same cast, they probably will.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For fantasy action/peril and some language.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2018 Screen It, Inc.