(2016) (Mary Elizabeth Winstead, John Goodman) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Suspense/Thriller: A woman must figure out whether a survivalist has kidnapped her in his underground bunker, of if he's truly saved her from an apocalyptic event in the outside world.
- Michelle (MARY ELIZABETH WINSTEAD) is a young woman who lives somewhere in the southern Gulf states and is fleeing her engagement to her boyfriend. As talk of widespread power outages dominates the radio news as she drives along, a truck suddenly clips her vehicle, sending her into a bad crash.
When she comes to, she finds herself banged up and cuffed to a pipe atop a mattress in a cinderblock room with no windows. Enter Howard (JOHN GOODMAN), a large man who states he's saved her from a calamity in the outside world where he believes a nuclear or chemical strike -- or possibly maybe even an extraterrestrial invasion -- has left everyone dead.
Michelle initially doesn't believe that and is certain she's been abducted, especially after meeting Emmett (JOHN GALLAGHER JR.), also there in that underground, survivalist bunker and likewise submissive to Howard and his strict rules. But Emmett eventually tells Michelle that he fought his way into that bunker -- that he earlier helped Howard build -- after seeing a bright flash of light he couldn't explain, but made him believe the worst had occurred.
From that point on, Michelle tries to figure out what's going on, as clues and discoveries mean that either explanation -- that Howard did abduct her or that the end of the world has occurred above ground -- is plausible.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- It's a good bet many teens will be interested, especially if they liked the 2008 film "Cloverfield."
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For thematic material including frightening sequences of threat with some violence, and brief language.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2017 Screen It, Inc.