(2015) (Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Action/Drama: In a post-apocalyptic world, the former teenage winner of a televised battle to the death competition continues to work for the rebellion against her nation's president and his totalitarian government, all with the plan of assassinating that man.
- In the undetermined, post-apocalyptic future, the government had long controlled the populace of Panem by dividing them into twelve districts. Each year, there was a televised event known as the Hunger Games where one boy and one girl aged 12 to 18 from each district were selected to compete in a battle to the death. It was designed as entertainment for the masses, but really to show the people that resistance against the government would be futile.
Unfortunately for President Coriolanus Snow (DONALD SUTHERLAND), the unlikely winners of the 74th Hunger Games -- teenagers Katniss Everdeen (JENNIFER LAWRENCE) and Peeta Mellark (JOSH HUTCHERSON) -- turned against the government and joined the resistance movement lead by President Alma Coin (JULIANNE MOORE) and Snow's former game maker, Plutarch Heavensbee (PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN). Now that they've rescued Peeta from a propagandist brainwashing that put him at odds with Katniss, she's determined to kill Snow and end the madness once and for all.
She ends up joining a military platoon led by Boggs (MAHERSHALA ALI) and his second-in-command, Lt. Jackson (MICHELLE FORBES), joining the likes of Katniss' former boyfriend, Gale Hawthorne (LIAM HEMSWORTH), former competitor, Finnick Odair (SAM CLAFLIN), and others to make their way through the city. Unbeknownst to Katniss or her ally, former Games winner Haymitch Abernathy (WOODY HARRELSON), Coin wants to continue using Katniss as part of a propaganda machine, putting her far behind the front line but pretending to be there as covered by a TV crew consisting of director Cressida (NATALIE DORMER) and her brotherly crew, Castor (WES CHATHAM) and Pollux (ELDEN HENSON).
As they make their way through the ravaged city toward Snow's palace, they must contend with the unexpected arrival of Peeta who's still not quite himself yet, various deadly booby-traps, and Snow's heavily armed peacekeepers who are on the lookout for Katniss and her team.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Most likely, especially if they're fans of the earlier films or novels on which they're based.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For intense sequences of violence and action, and for some thematic material.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2017 Screen It, Inc.