(2015) (Will Ferrell, Kevin Hart) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Comedy: A multi-millionaire is sentenced to prison for white-collar crimes and hires who he thinks is a thug ex-con to teach him how to survive behind bars.
- James King (WILL FERRELL) is a multi-millionaire investor with a big house, fancy cars, and a beautiful fiancée, Alissa (ALISON BRIE). He is arrested and convicted of fraud, embezzlement, and other white-collar crimes and sentenced to 10 years in prison. The judge gives him 30 days to get his affairs in order, so James hires an African-American man named Darnell (KEVIN HART), who he thinks is an ex-con, to teach him how to survive in jail. Darnell, though, is a squeaky-clean family man with a wife, Rita (EDWINA FINDLEY DICKERSON), and a 10-year-old daughter, Makayla (ARIANA NEAL). He dreams of getting his little girl into a better school district and himself and his wife into a nicer house, so he agrees to "train" James in the thug life in return for the $30,000 down payment he needs for a home in a better zip code.
Darnell soon learns he's in over his head and may end up getting James killed behind bars. So, he recruits his gangster cousin, Russell (hip-hop artist T.I.) to offer James gang protection once he gets to San Quentin. Russell initially bristles at the suggestion until James shows him and his gang how they can turn their drug money into big-time legitimate profits by investing in Wall Street.
Darnell, meanwhile, starts to like James more and more and begins to suspect that he is indeed telling the truth that he is an innocent man. With just a little bit of digging, the two learn that James' boss, Martin (CRAIG T. NELSON), and crooked attorney, Peter (GREG GERMANN), have set him up to take the fall for a bad investment scheme gone wrong.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens who are fans of either Ferrell, Hart, or both will likely have some interest.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For pervasive crude and sexual content and language, some graphic nudity, and drug material.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2017 Screen It, Inc.