(2015) (Domhnall Gleeson, Oscar Isaac) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Sci-Fi: A computer programmer is summoned by his reclusive, inventor boss to determine if his latest creation, a realistic looking female robot, possesses true and undeniable artificial intelligence.
- Caleb (DOMHNALL GLEESON) is a 26-year-old programmer who learns he's won a company lottery prize to spend a week with their reclusive CEO, Nathan (OSCAR ISAAC). Nathan's company runs the number one search engine on the Internet, but he's after more than just that, something he introduces to Caleb at his remote, underground and highly secretive home-meets-lab. There, while his non-English speaking assistant, Kyoko (SONOYA MIZUNO), tends to his daily needs, Nathan has created a realistic looking robot he's named Ava (ALICIA VIKANDER).
He's brought Caleb there to perform a so-called Turing Test on her -- namely to see if she possesses truly believable artificial intelligence. As the week begins, Caleb begins interviewing Ava and is impressed by what he sees, hears and experiences. But during occasional power glitches in the lab -- during which Nathan is unable to monitor their interaction via camera and microphone -- Ava instructs Caleb not to trust anything Nathan says or does. Keeping that in mind as the week progresses, Caleb comes to sense Ava as a real being, all while wondering what's really going on and what Nathan might really be doing.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- They might if they're into heady sci-fi tales, stories about androids, or are fans of anyone in the cast.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For graphic nudity, language, sexual references and some violence.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2017 Screen It, Inc.