(2014) (Colin Farrell, Russell Crowe) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Fantasy/Drama: In a mythical New York City, a common thief falls in love with a dying woman and clashes with demonic forces.
- Peter Lake (COLIN FARRELL) grew up an orphan on the mean streets of early 20th century New York City. He tried to make it as a mechanic, but turned to crime and became a highly skilled burglar in the service of crime boss Pearly Soames (RUSSELL CROWE). He eventually runs afoul of the man, who threatens to kill him. It soon becomes clear that Pearly is an actual demon in the service of Lucifer (WILL SMITH) and is quite literally Hell-bent on stopping Peter from realizing his destiny that he can perform a single miracle.
Preparing to flee Manhattan, Peter decides to rob one more house. As it turns out, it's the home of a dying young woman named Beverly Penn (JESSICA BROWN FINDLAY) who is home at the time. They fall in love. But Pearly senses that saving Beverly's life might be the miracle Peter is destined for. Before he can kill the woman, though, Peter spirits Beverly off on his magical white horse to her father Isaac Penn's (WILLIAM HURT) estate in the country.
Peter is unable to prevent Beverly from dying, and he is eventually brutalized by Pearly and tossed off a bridge. He survives and spends the next 98 years wandering New York with no memory until he meets journalist Virginia Gamely (JENNIFER CONNOLLY) and her terminally ill daughter and slowly begins to reclaim his destiny with the help of Beverly's grown-up sister, Willa (EVA MARIE SAINT).
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens may be drawn to the film's young, attractive leads.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For violence and some sensuality.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2017 Screen It, Inc.