(2014) (Brenton Thwaites, Jeff Bridges) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Sci-Fi: A teen who lives in a futuristic utopia discovers that things aren't as idyllic as they seem when he's chosen to be the lone receiver of memories of humankind's past bad behavior.
- In a future utopian society that was created following an apocalyptic event known as The Ruin, teenager Jonas (BRENTON THWAITES) lives with his father (ALEXANDER SKARSGARD), mother (KATIE HOLMES) and younger sister, Lily (EMMA TREMBLAY). All of humanity's bad behaviors and thoughts have been removed from everyone's consciousness and everyday behavior, meaning there's no anger, fear, greed, envy or other such emotions.
During an annual ceremony conducted by the Chief Elder (MERYL STREEP), Jonas waits with his best friends, Fiona (ODEYA RUSH) and Asher (CAMERON MONAGHAN), to see what their roles in life will be. While she's selected to be a nurturer of babies and Asher is chosen to be a drone pilot, Jonas is hand-picked to be the new holder of memories of humankind's sordid and troubled past and indiscretions. The current possessor of them, The Giver (JEFF BRIDGES), is to work with Jonas to impart those memories over to him, meaning the teen will experience things -- good and bad -- that he never previously was aware of.
As he does, Jonas comes to realize there's far more to life than what everyone is allowed to experience, such as love, as well as knowledge that the current leaders have really only disguised certain abominable behaviors. As he tries to get Fiona to experience the same, he realizes he must take matters into his own hands, not only to save himself but also an infant who's now under his protection.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're fans of the novel on which it's based, stories of futuristic societies and/or are fans of anyone in the cast, they might be interested.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For a mature thematic image and some sci-fi action/violence.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2018 Screen It, Inc.