(2014) (Brenton Thwaites, Jeff Bridges) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Sci-Fi: A teen who lives in a futuristic utopia discovers that things aren't as idyllic as they seem when he's chosen to be the lone receiver of memories of humankind's past bad behavior.
- In a future utopian society that was created following an apocalyptic event known as The Ruin, teenager Jonas (BRENTON THWAITES) lives with his father (ALEXANDER SKARSGARD), mother (KATIE HOLMES) and younger sister, Lily (EMMA TREMBLAY). All of humanity's bad behaviors and thoughts have been removed from everyone's consciousness and everyday behavior, meaning there's no anger, fear, greed, envy or other such emotions.
During an annual ceremony conducted by the Chief Elder (MERYL STREEP), Jonas waits with his best friends, Fiona (ODEYA RUSH) and Asher (CAMERON MONAGHAN), to see what their roles in life will be. While she's selected to be a nurturer of babies and Asher is chosen to be a drone pilot, Jonas is hand-picked to be the new holder of memories of humankind's sordid and troubled past and indiscretions. The current possessor of them, The Giver (JEFF BRIDGES), is to work with Jonas to impart those memories over to him, meaning the teen will experience things -- good and bad -- that he never previously was aware of.
As he does, Jonas comes to realize there's far more to life than what everyone is allowed to experience, such as love, as well as knowledge that the current leaders have really only disguised certain abominable behaviors. As he tries to get Fiona to experience the same, he realizes he must take matters into his own hands, not only to save himself but also an infant who's now under his protection.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're fans of the novel on which it's based, stories of futuristic societies and/or are fans of anyone in the cast, they might be interested.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For a mature thematic image and some sci-fi action/violence.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.