(2014) (Mickey Rourke, Joseph Gordon-Levitt) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Crime Drama: The lives of various corrupt and desperate people intertwine in a seedy town.
- Marv (MICKEY ROURKE) is a bodyguard of sorts at a strip club where Nancy (JESSICA ALBA) and other strippers ply their trade for drunken spectators. Still haunted by the suicide of the cop, Hartigan (BRUCE WILLIS), who saved her as a girl and still appears in her hallucinations, Nancy wants to get revenge on powerful Senator Roark (POWERS BOOTHE) whose son had kidnapped her in the past but was shot dead by Hartigan. Roark isn't aware of her murderous intent as he's focused on a young hotshot gambler, Johnny (JOSEPH GORDON-LEVITT), who uses his good luck charm, Marcy (JULIA GARNER), to beat the senator at a round of high stakes gambling and wants to put him in his place.
At the same time, Dwight (JOSH BROLIN) is a private detective hired to get photos of Joey (RAY LIOTTA) having an affair with Sally (JUNO TEMPLE). But he's still haunted by his former flame, Ava (EVA GREEN), cheating on him in the past and thus is torn when she reappears in her life. Now married to a rich man, Damien Lord (MARTON CSOKAS), who has his hulking henchman, Manute (DENNIS HAYSBERT), keep an eye on her, Ava quickly seduces Dwight back into her life.
He eventually gets Marv to help him attack Damien's estate, but that results in an unexpected twist that leaves Dwight badly wounded and in need of help from the ladies of Old Town, including Gail (ROSARIO DAWSON) and the sword-wielding Miho (JAMIE CHUNG). Ava then turns to manipulate a local cop, Mort (CHRISTOPHER MELONI), whose partner Bob (JERERY PIVEN), doesn't look highly on Ava. Meanwhile, Johnny ends up badly wounded by Roarke's crew and turns to a back alley doctor, Kroenig (CHRISTOPHER LLOYD), to fix him up so that he can get revenge on the Senator, something Nancy also intends to do.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're fans of the original film and/or anyone in the cast, they might show some interest.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For strong brutal stylized violence throughout, sexual content, nudity, and brief drug use.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2017 Screen It, Inc.