"MR. PEABODY & SHERMAN"
(2014) (voices of Ty Burrell, Max Charles) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Animated Action/Comedy: An advanced dog and his adopted human son must repair a rip in the space-time continuum caused by their time-traveling misadventures.
- Mr. Peabody (voice of TY BURRELL) is a genius canine who has been a scientist, an inventor, an advisor to U.S. Presidents, and even an Olympic medalist. His greatest challenge, though, is being the father to his adopted human son, Sherman (voice of MAX CHARLES). One of his favorite things to do as a parent is teach Sherman about history and famous world events by traveling through time in a machine he invented called the WABAC ("Way Back"). Together, they have managed to meet everyone from Gandhi to George Washington.
On the first day of grade school, though, Sherman is bullied by a little girl named Penny (voice of ARIEL WINTER) who is threatened by Sherman's intellect and life experiences. When the two get into a fight, the school's disciplinarian, Ms. Grunion (voice of ALISON JANNEY), uses it as an opportunity to try and have Sherman separated from Mr. Peabody, because she believes that a dog raising a human boy is unnatural and wrong.
At a dinner party that Mr. Peabody arranges to meet and smooth over relations with Penny's parents, Paul and Patty (voices of STEPHEN COLBERT and LESLIE MANN), Sherman tries to impress Penny by showing her the Way Back and taking it for a spin. What follows is a time-tripping adventure in which they and Mr. Peabody come in contact with everyone from Leonardo DaVinci (voice of STANLEY TUCCI) to Agamemnon (voice of PATRICK WARBURTON) to Albert Einstein (voice of Mel Brooks) and cause a rip in the space-time continuum that they have to repair.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Absolutely. The film has a playful energy that will appeal to kids as young as 5 or 6, mixed with a lot of heady historical and scientific references that will engage older elementary and middle-school kids.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For some mild action and brief rude humor.
To continue reading the review and all of the highly detailed, scene-by-scene listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories):
I have subscribed to ScreenIt for more than a decade. I check in every week to take advantage of their amazing services. Not only does their site provide a glimpse of exactly what content a movie offers, I've found the “Our Take” reviews and ratings for each movie to be right on the money every single time. I've referred dozens of friends to this service because my #1 resource for deciding whether or not to show a movie to my kids, or to see one myself, is ScreenIt.com!
Director, State of CA Public Sector
I signed up to get Screen It weekly reviews a long time ago, when my kids were young and I wanted to know more about movies before we went to a theater or rented. Now one child is in law school, other in undergraduate, and I still read the weekly Screen Its! It helps me know what my husband and I want to see or rent, and what to have waiting at home that we all will enjoy when my "kids" come home. I depend on Screen It reviews. They usually just present the facts and let me decide if the movie is appropriate or of interest for my family and me. Thank you for providing that service, Screen It!
Winston Salem, NC
I have 4 children who are now in college. I signed up for Screen It when my children were pre-teenagers. Often my children would ask to see a movie with a friend and I wished I could preview the movie prior to giving permission. A friend told me about ScreenIt.com and I found it to be the next best thing to previewing a movie. The amount of violence, sexual content, or language were always concerns for me and my husband as we raised innocent kids with morals. We constantly fought the peer pressure our kids received to see films that in our opinion were questionable. With the evidence we received at Screen It, our kids couldn't even fight us when we felt a film may have been inappropriate for them to watch. Thank you, Screen It. Continue to make this helpful service available to everyone, but especially the young parents.
Machesney Park, IL
Screenit.com is an amazing resource for parents, educators, church groups or anyone who wants to make an informed decision whether a movie is suitable for their viewing. The reviews and content descriptions are so detailed I am mystified how the reviewers can put them together.
I love screen It! I don't know what I would do without it. It is well worth the membership. Before we take our son to the movies we check it out on screen it first. Thank you SO much for making it. Keep up the good work & keep 'em coming!!!
Moreno Valley California
Other new reviews available this week include:
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2016 Screen It, Inc.