(2014) (Steve Carell, Channing Tatum) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A self-absorbed millionaire attempts to fulfill his need for self-worth by helping an Olympic gold medal wrestler win again.
- Mark Schultz (CHANNING TATUM) and his brother, David (MARK RUFFALO), are wrestlers who both won Gold medals in the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles. While David is married to Nancy (SIENNA MILLER), has two kids, and serves as Mark's coach, his brother has focused solely on wrestling and is looking forward to the upcoming world championships and Seoul Olympics in the next year.
Much to his surprise, Mark gets an unlikely call from John du Pont (STEVE CARELL) of the famous and uber-wealthy du Pont family. He's always thought of himself as a wrestler, but his elderly, horse-loving mother, Jean du Pont (VANESSA REDGRAVE), always viewed that as a lowly sport and thus discouraged his participation.
Undeterred by that and wanting to earn his mother's approval and bring back stature to America, John desires to be a wrestling coach and wants the large gymnasium on his grounds to serve as the main training center for U.S. wrestling Olympians. He easily gets Mark to join him, but can't convince David due to the latter being reluctant to uproot his family and move to Pennsylvania.
John ends up becoming something of the father figure Mark never had, but as their relationship continues to evolve and John's behavior becomes increasingly unpredictable, it's unclear what will ultimately happen with both men's goals.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens might be interested, along with anyone who's a fan of wrestling and/or anyone who's in the cast.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For some drug use and a scene of violence.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2017 Screen It, Inc.