(2014) (Tom Cruise, Emily Blunt) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Sci-Fi: A military officer must contend with being stuck in a time loop where he repeatedly relives the same day where alien invaders ambush the military assault directed against them.
- Earth is under attack by extraterrestrial invaders known as Mimics that have landed on Earth and are destroying cities and killing millions. To counter the Mimics' ability to adapt to military countermeasures, the United Defense Force has created specialized armored and weaponized suits to do battle with the invaders. Using that and her prowess on the battlefield, Special Forces soldier Rita Vrataski (EMILY BLUNT) has become a figurehead for the resistance and spurred on a planned military invasion in France.
Accordingly, UFF General Brigham (BRENDAN GLEESON) wants the U.S. Army's PR man, Major William Cage (TOM CRUISE), to go along and film the invasion. Never a soldier and with a distaste for blood, Cage initially turns down the offer. When Brigham states it's an order, Cage tries to blackmail his way out of seeing combat. As a result, he's tasered, arrested, and wakes up at a military base under the command of Master Sergeant Farrell (BILL PAXTON). He's been informed that Cage is a deserter who's impersonated being an officer, and thus sticks him into the middle of his squadron.
Comprised of the likes of Griff (KICK GURRY), Kuntz (DRAGOMIR MRSIC), Nance (CHARLOTTE RILEY), Skinner (JONAS ARMSTRONG), Ford (FRANZ DRAMEH) and Kimmel (TONY WAY) among others, they're preparing to head up the invasion and don't look highly on Cage joining their unit. Without knowing what to do or how to operate his combat suit, Cage is thrust into the maelstrom along with the others, unaware that it's a Mimic ambush where everyone is killed, including Cage.
But he wakes up the next morning back at the base, repeating the events of the previous day, including the ambush and his death. As that day continues to rewind and repeat, Cage eventually meets Rita in battle, with her seeming to understand his quandary, even if she keeps meeting him for the first time each day. He eventually learns that she once suffered from the same condition he's now experiencing, and with the help of analyst Dr. Carter (NOAH TAYLOR), they try to figure out how to use his condition -- that's a direct connection to the Omega leader of the Mimics -- in order to prevent the ambush, move on after that, and find a way to defeat the invaders.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're into sci-fi based action films, and/or are fans of anyone in the cast, they probably will.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For intense sequences of sci-fi action and violence, language and brief suggestive material.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2017 Screen It, Inc.