(2014) (Jon Favreau, John Leguizamo) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Dramedy: A down-on-his-luck chef quits his restaurant job and starts his own food truck business while driving from Miami back to Los Angeles with his former employee and 10-year-old son.
- Carl Casper (JON FAVREAU) isn't having a good life. Beyond being divorced from his now ex-wife, Inez (SOFIA VERGARA), and only occasionally getting to spend time with their 10-year-old son, Percy (EMJAY ANTHONY), his once promising and highly regarded career as run into a dead-end. While the restaurant where he works is quite popular and he gets along great with his staff including sous chef Tony (BOBBY CANNAVALE), line cook Martin (JOHN LEGUIZAMO), and hostess Molly (SCARLET JOHANSSON), he clashes with the owner, Riva (DUSTIN HOFFMAN), who wants the same menu prepared night after night.
That results in a mediocre review by food critic Ramsey Michel (OLIVER PLATT), something that doesn't sit well with Carl who takes to social media, not really knowing what he's doing, for his rebuttal. That eventually results in him quitting, with Inez offering for him to join her and Percy in Miami for business where he can watch their son and thus bond with him. She's also hoping that her former ex-husband, Marvin (ROBERT DOWNEY JR.), might be able to lend a hand. He does, in the form of an old food truck that Carl and Percy rehabilitate. Joined by Martin, they then proceed to serve delicious food to people from Miami back to Florida as they head off on their cross-country road trip.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Those who are fans of anyone in the cast or are into cooking (and cooking shows) might show some interest.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language, including some suggestive references.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2018 Screen It, Inc.