(2014) (Ellar Coltrane, Patricia Arquette) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A boy must contend with various family issues, self doubts and philosophical thoughts while growing up from a 6-year-old into a college freshman.
- Mason Jr. (ELLAR COLTRANE) is a 6-year-old boy growing up with his older sister, Samantha (LORELEI LINKLATER), and their single mom, Olivia (PATRICIA ARQUETTE). The latter has decided to move them to Houston, Texas in order to go back to school, all of which means they'll be closer to her mom as well as the kid's father, Mason Sr. (ETHAN HAWKE), who's been in Alaska and thus out of their lives for the past year and a half.
Olivia eventually ends up marrying her professor, Bill Wellbrock (MARCO PERELLA), thus blending their families together with the addition of his kids, Randy (ANDREW VILLARREAL) and Mindy (JAIME HOWARD). But he slowly turns out to be an abusive alcoholic and she removes the kids from the situation. At the same time, Mason Sr. rooms with musician Jimmy (CHARLIE SEXTON) and enjoys spending time with his kids every other weekend. Years pass and Olivia eventually takes up with Jim (BRAD HAWKINS), an Afghanistan/Iraq War veteran turned corrections officer, but he doesn't turn out any better.
Mason Jr. ends up meeting and marrying Annie (JENNI TOOLEY) with whom he has a child, while Mason Jr. ends up with a girlfriend, Sheena (ZOE GRAHAM), while taking photography classes with Mr. Turlington (TOM McTIGUE) and pondering his place in the world and what he's going to make of himself.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens might be, especially if they've heard the positive buzz about the film.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language including sexual references, and for teen drug and alcohol use.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.