(2014) (Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Nate Parker) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A rising pop star thinks she might have found an answer to her unhappiness in the young cop who saved her life.
- Noni Jean (GUGU MBATHA-RAW) is a rising young adult star in the pop world thanks to her natural talent as well as the blood, sweat and tears put in by her mother, Macy Jean (MINNIE DRIVER), who works tirelessly to promote her and reinforce her mantra that there's no place for a first runner-up. Yet, despite her success and an arranged business-meets-romantic relationship with rapper Kid Culprit (MACHINE GUN KELLY), Noni isn't happy. One night after an awards show and some celebratory drinking, she nearly takes her own life via a plunge off her hotel balcony. Fortunately for her, LAPD officer Kaz Nicol (NATE PARKER) is on duty outside her door and rushes in to save her.
He isn't star struck by her as he has political ambitions to make his community a better place, much to the delight of his fellow cop father, Capt. David Nicol (DANNY GLOVER). Yet, he isn't pleased when his dad tells him the necessary thing to do regarding Noni's suicide attempt is to go along with the lie that she simply had too much to drink and nearly slipped to her death. While some in the paparazzi don't buy that and press Kaz for the truth, the majority quickly try to make a story connecting the cop and pop star into something more than it is.
Their association soon turns into a relationship, much to the chagrin of David and those trying to position Kaz's political future. As Kaz does his best to free -- if temporarily -- the young star from the pressures and daily grind of her celebrity life, he must contend with the fallout and repercussions of his involvement with her, all while she tries to find her true self once again.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- The pop star story and related romance might be of interest to some, while those who are fans of anyone in the cast might also be interested.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For sexual content including suggestive gestures, partial nudity, language and thematic elements.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2018 Screen It, Inc.