(2014) (Nicole Kidman, Colin Firth) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Thriller: A woman wakes up with amnesia every morning and begins to wonder if her husband is lying to her.
- Christine (NICOLE KIDMAN) is a 40-year-old amnesiac woman who wakes up every morning with no memory of her marriage to Ben (COLIN FIRTH). Ben seems like a kindly, patient, and understanding spouse dealing with a most difficult circumstance. But we gradually come to learn that he is not being completely truthful with her about events of the recent and not-so-recent past. For instance, he tells her that she lost her memory due to a car accident. She comes to learn that it was the result of a brutal assault. He neglects to tell her that they actually divorced four years earlier and that they had lost a son at an early age to meningitis.
Meanwhile, Christine gets help each day on the sly from Dr. Mike Nasch (MARK STRONG), a psychiatrist who finds her case fascinating. He tells her to start keeping a daily video journal that she can watch each morning after her husband leaves for work that will give her an update on all of the things she learned from the previous day. He calls her each morning, introduces himself, then tells her to retrieve the camera from her secret hiding place in the house. But he has a brooding, mysterious way about him, and he is sometimes too quick with a psychological explanation for nearly everything Christine experiences.
Christine's memory is further tested when she becomes aware of a best friend named Claire (ANNE-MARIE DUFF), who has information that directly contradicts what Ben has been telling her. Their meeting points Christine in new directions as she struggles to figure out what's true, what's false, and what might place her in harm's way once again.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- There is very little appeal to even older teens, unless they are just fans of Kidman and Firth from their past films.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For some brutal violence and language.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2018 Screen It, Inc.