(2014) (Liam Neeson, Brian "Astro" Bradley) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A former alcoholic cop turned sober detective tries to find the men responsible for kidnapping women and one girl who are related to drug dealers.
- It's 1999 and Matt Scudder (LIAM NEESON) is a former alcoholic cop turned sober detective. He's approached by drug addict and alcoholic Peter Kristo (BOYD HOLBROOK) who says that his drug trafficker brother, Kenny (DAN STEVENS), needs his help. It seems that two psychopaths unknown to him, Ray (DAVID HARBOUR) and Albert (ADAM DAVID THOMPSON), kidnapped his wife and killed her despite him paying them $400,000 in ransom. Kenny offers Matt $40,000 if he can find them and the detective only agrees after hearing the chilling tape recording of them torturing her.
While doing some research that eventually leads him to meet cemetery groundskeeper James Loogan (OLAFUR DARRI OLAFSSON) who has a connection to the kidnappers, Matt runs into TJ (BRIAN 'ASTRO' BRADLEY). He's a homeless teen who's enticed by Matt's job and thus becomes his unofficial assistant. As Matt continues his investigation, he learns that the kidnappers previously nabbed Leila Alvarez (LAURA BIRN), the girlfriend of drug dealer and part-time actor Reuben Quintana (MARK CONSUELOS), and now have abducted Lucia (DANIELLE ROSE RUSSELL), the teenage daughter of another drug dealer, Yuri Landau (SEBASTIAN ROCHE).
Knowing he must act quickly and take control of the situation, Matt turns the tables on the kidnappers in hopes that doing so will allow him to find the men and rescue the girl.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens might be, especially if they're into gritty crime dramas. Those who are fans of anyone in the cast might be interested as well.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For strong violence, disturbing images, language and brief nudity.
- CAST AS ROLE MODELS:
- LIAM NEESON plays a former alcoholic cop turned sober private detective who agrees to Kenny's request to find the men who kidnapped and murdered his wife. Along the way, he befriends TJ and reluctantly brings him onboard as his unofficial assistant, all as he digs through evidence and the meeting of others to find the kidnappers. He's smart at what he does, and can be deadly violent when he believes the situation warrants it. He uses strong profanity, and drinks in an early scene.
- BRIAN 'ASTRO' BRADLEY plays a homeless teen who helps Matt do some research and then becomes his assistant as he likes the notion of being a private detective. He uses profanity, briefly has a handgun he discovered, and puts himself in harm's way more often than he should. He also suffers from sickle cell anemia, and gets beat up by two older boys in one scene.
- DAVID HARBOUR plays one of the kidnappers, a psychopath who seems to enjoy the kidnapping, torture and killing of his victims. He uses strong profanity.
- ADAM DAVID THOMPSON plays his partner, a more reserved but equally deadly and disturbing man.
- BOYD HOLBROOK plays a drug addict and alcoholic who enlists Matt's aid to help his brother. He smokes and appears to be on drugs in at least one scene.
- DAN STEVENS plays his brother, a well-to-do drug dealer who's contending with the recent kidnapping and murder of his wife. He hires Matt to find the men so that he can get revenge. He uses profanity and briefly drinks.
- SEBASTIAN ROCHE plays another drug dealer who must contend with the abduction of his teenage daughter played by DANIELLE ROSE RUSSELL.
- OLAFUR DARRI OLAFSSON plays a cemetery groundskeeper who assisted the kidnappers until he grew too squeamish of their horrible acts. He casts a wary eye toward Matt when the latter comes sniffing around for information, and briefly threatens the detective.
- MARK CONSUELOS plays another drug dealer and part-time actor whose girlfriend -- played by LAURA BIRN -- was also kidnapped.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2017 Screen It, Inc.