(2014) (Philip Seymour Hoffman, Robin Wright) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Thriller: A German intelligence operative tracks a lone terrorist suspect in Hamburg, hoping he will be the key to bringing down a major money laundering operation.
- Gunther Bachmann (PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN) is the leader of a super-secret German intelligence team that tracks the movements of suspected Islamic terrorists in Hamburg, which an opening title card states was one of the cities where the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorists hatched their plot. His latest target is Issa (GRIGORIY DOBRYGIN), the son of a terrorist mastermind who has recently immigrated to Germany illegally and has disappeared into the city's underground.
As it turns out, Issa has inherited his father's ill-gotten millions, but wants nothing to do with the fortune as he considers it blood money. He gets in contact with a liberal-minded lawyer named Annabel Richter (RACHEL McADAMS), who represents him in his dealings with his father's banker, Tommy Brue (WILLEM DAFOE). Issa wants to donate the family fortune to Abdullah (HOMAYOUN ERSHADI), a respected Muslim businessman with ties to multiple Islamic charities.
Gunther, though, has been investigating Abdullah, too, and suspects he is using the charities partly to launder money to a terrorist organization fronting as a shipping company. He instructs his team, which includes colleagues Irna (NINA HOSS) and Maximilian (DANIEL BRUHL) and informant Jamal (MEHDI DEBHI), to nab Annabel and use her growing sympathy to the innocent Issa to help them catch Abdullah. Meanwhile, the CIA, led by a seemingly friendly operative named Martha (ROBIN WRIGHT), is keeping a close eye on Gunther's team as they want Abdullah for the American agency's own purposes.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens with an interest in world events may have some interest.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.