(2014) (Oscar Isaac, Jessica Chastain) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: An early 1980s businessman tries to grow his home heating oil business but must contend with various forces that are trying to shut him down.
- It's 1981 in New York City, and Abel Morales (OSCAR ISAAC) runs Standard Heating Co. a heating oil business he bought from a man he once worked for and ultimately married his daughter, Anna (JESSICA CHASTAIN), who helps run the business. Abel has set his sights on a lucrative piece of property he could use to expand his business, something he's hoping his former mobster turned lawyer Andrew Walsh (ALBERT BROOKS) can assist in closing the deal.
But it's a lot of money, and he isn't helped any by a number of recent thefts of his delivery trucks right out from under his drivers, including young Julian (ELYES GABEL). Abel isn't sure who's responsible, but casts wary eyes on some of his competitors, including Arnold Kline (GLENN FLESHLER), while Teamsters official Bill O'Leary (PETER GERETY) wants to arm all of the drivers, something Abel objects to.
Abel thinks he can get a business loan from his banker friend, Arthur Lewis (JOHN PROCACCINO), but the latter is getting cold feet due to District Attorney Lawrence (DAVID OYELOWO) snooping around Abel's business, certain he's up to no good (due to his father-in-law's former mob connections, something Abel has disavowed as he says he runs a legit and clean company).
When that ruins the loan, Abel is forced to get money for the purchase from others, such as Peter Forente (ALESSANDRO NIVOLA), but then ends up potentially digging himself into deeper and more dangerous debt. With time running out to get the money to close the deal or lose his substantial deposit, Abel does what he can to make that work, all while dealing with an assortment of setbacks and obstacles.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Some older teens might be interested, but that's likely it (unless one's a fan of anyone in the cast).
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language and some violence.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2018 Screen It, Inc.