(2013) (voices of Ryan Reynolds, Paul Giamatti) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Animated Action: A garden snail who dreams of racing in the Indy 500 gets his wish through a series of extraordinary circumstances.
- Turbo (voice of RYAN REYNOLDS) is a garden snail who has literally moved at a snail's pace all of his life. But he dreams of having great speed and even racing in the Indy 500 one day -- a dream his pessimistic brother, Chet (voice of PAUL GIAMATTI), constantly tries to squash. Most days, they and the other snails do their best to avoid landscapers' lawn mowers and the naughty neighborhood Big Wheel Boy (voice of AIDAN ANDREWS) who lives only to crush bugs under his tricycle. During one night of despair, Turbo crawls away from the vegetable garden where he and the other snails live. Through a series of misadventures and close calls with oncoming traffic, he winds up in the engine of a nitrous-fueled drag racing car. He emerges changed and can suddenly run at speeds of over 200 miles an hour.
He and Chet are discovered by Tito (voice of MICHAEL PENA), who operates a taco business with his sensible brother, Angelo (voice of LUIS GUZMAN), but dreams of getting rich quick. He convinces the other business owners of a local strip mall - hobby shop owner, Bobby (voice of RICHARD JENKINS); auto-body shop operator, Paz (voice of MICHELLE RODRIGUEZ); and nail salon guru, Kim-Ly (voice of KEN JEONG) - to help him fund Turbo's entry into the Indy 500.
Turbo is also helped by a misfit crew of snails who fashion themselves his pit crew. There is the leader, Whiplash (voice of SAMUEL L. JACKSON); Burn (voice of MAYA RUDOLPH), who takes a liking to Chet; friendly rivals Smoove Move (voice of SNOOP DOGG) and Skid Mark (BEN SCHWARTZ); and the White Shadow (voice of MICHAEL PATRICK BELL), who believes he has stealth powers (but he really doesn't). Once at the Indy 500, Turbo is instantly challenged by his idol, Guy Gagne (voice of BILL HADER), a champion driver who does not want to share the spotlight.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For some mild action and thematic elements.
To continue reading the review and all of the highly detailed, scene-by-scene listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories):
I have subscribed to ScreenIt for more than a decade. I check in every week to take advantage of their amazing services. Not only does their site provide a glimpse of exactly what content a movie offers, I've found the “Our Take” reviews and ratings for each movie to be right on the money every single time. I've referred dozens of friends to this service because my #1 resource for deciding whether or not to show a movie to my kids, or to see one myself, is ScreenIt.com!
Director, State of CA Public Sector
I signed up to get Screen It weekly reviews a long time ago, when my kids were young and I wanted to know more about movies before we went to a theater or rented. Now one child is in law school, other in undergraduate, and I still read the weekly Screen Its! It helps me know what my husband and I want to see or rent, and what to have waiting at home that we all will enjoy when my "kids" come home. I depend on Screen It reviews. They usually just present the facts and let me decide if the movie is appropriate or of interest for my family and me. Thank you for providing that service, Screen It!
Winston Salem, NC
I have 4 children who are now in college. I signed up for Screen It when my children were pre-teenagers. Often my children would ask to see a movie with a friend and I wished I could preview the movie prior to giving permission. A friend told me about ScreenIt.com and I found it to be the next best thing to previewing a movie. The amount of violence, sexual content, or language were always concerns for me and my husband as we raised innocent kids with morals. We constantly fought the peer pressure our kids received to see films that in our opinion were questionable. With the evidence we received at Screen It, our kids couldn't even fight us when we felt a film may have been inappropriate for them to watch. Thank you, Screen It. Continue to make this helpful service available to everyone, but especially the young parents.
Machesney Park, IL
Screenit.com is an amazing resource for parents, educators, church groups or anyone who wants to make an informed decision whether a movie is suitable for their viewing. The reviews and content descriptions are so detailed I am mystified how the reviewers can put them together.
I love screen It! I don't know what I would do without it. It is well worth the membership. Before we take our son to the movies we check it out on screen it first. Thank you SO much for making it. Keep up the good work & keep 'em coming!!!
Moreno Valley California
Other new reviews available this week include:
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2016 Screen It, Inc.