(2013) (Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: An unassuming young man gets pulled into the roaring twenties world of the wealthy when a mysterious millionaire wants to rekindle his romance with the man's married and equally rich cousin.
- It's 1922 and former aspiring writer Nick Carraway (TOBEY MAGUIRE) has moved into a small house in the town of West Egg on Long Island across the bay from his cousin, Daisy Buchanan (CAREY MULLIGAN), who lives in East Egg with her wealthy husband, Tom (JOEL EDGERTON), who went to college with Nick in years past. Nick has moved there so that he can commute into Manhattan as a bond salesman and enjoys being reunited with his cousin and meeting her famous golfer friend, Jordan Baker (ELIZABETH DEBICKI).
She knows Nick's next door neighbor, millionaire socialite Jay Gatsby (LEONARDO DiCAPRIO) who throws elaborate parties where anyone and everyone is invited. No one really knows anything about Gatsby, including his business partner Meyer Wolfsheim (AMITABH BACHCHAN), but the nebulous figure has an interest in Nick. And that's because Gatsby once dated Daisy long before she met Tom, and he now wants back into her life. She's surprised but happy to see him again, no doubt stemming from the fact she knows Tom's had lovers in the past.
In fact, Nick ends up meeting one of them, Myrtle Wilson (ISLA FISHER), the wife of a gas station owner, George (JASON CLARKE), in a poor town on the way from East Egg into Manhattan. As Gatsby tries to win over a confused and unsure Daisy, Nick gets caught up in both that melodrama as well as the trappings of the roaring twenties.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're fans of anyone in the cast they might. Otherwise, it's likely a toss-up.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For some violent images, sexual content, smoking, partying and brief language.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2017 Screen It, Inc.