(2013) (Christian Bale, Casey Affleck) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A Rust Belt factory worker must contend with unexpected changes in his life, all while worrying about his brother who can't adjust after returning from his fourth military deployment overseas.
- It's 2008 and siblings Russell Baze (CHRISTIAN BALE) and Rodney Baze Jr. (CASEY AFFLECK) have lived most of their lives in the Rust Belt town of Braddock, Pennsylvania. While Russell works in the local mill like their terminally ill father once did, the restless Rodney has already served three tours in Iraq and is building up his gambling debt to local bar owner and bookie, John Petty (WILLEM DAFOE). Things take a turn for the worse when Russell ends up imprisoned for vehicular manslaughter, and during his time in the joint his girlfriend, Lena Warren (ZOE SALDANA), leaves him for the local sheriff, Wesley Barnes (FOREST WHITAKER).
After Russell is finally released, he learns that Rodney has been competing in fistfights for John, although his inability to take a fall has angered Curtis DeGroat (WOODY HARRELSON), a volatile hillbilly and tweaker who runs his drug and fighting ring from the backwoods of New Jersey. When that relationship sours even more, Rodney ends up missing. All of which sends Russell and his uncle, Red (SAM SHEPARD), on what they hope will be a successful rescue mission into territory that even the local cops try to avoid.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens might show some interest, especially if they're fans of anyone in the cast.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For strong violence, language and drug content.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2018 Screen It, Inc.