(2013) (Idris Elba, Naomi Harris) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A man spends decades trying to earn equal rights for the black people of South Africa, but must contend with the ramifications on himself and his family.
- It's the 1940s and Nelson Mandela (IDRIS MANDELA) is a lawyer representing poor black people who are living under the racist rule of the white minority in South Africa. Married to Evelyn (TERRY PHETO), he's been spending increasing amounts of time with members of the African National Congress (ANC) who oppose apartheid and have opted to let their voices be heard by peaceful protests. With his involvement in such social issues increasingly resulting in less time spent with his family, not to mention his adulterous ways, Evelyn leaves and takes their kids with her.
Years later, he meets and quickly courts social worker Winnie Madikizela (NAOMIE HARRIS) who he marries in 1958. Despite starting a new family with her, Nelson eventually goes underground with the ANC to further their cause. With that eventually turning to violence, the government cracks down on them and arrests Nelson along with fellow ANC leaders Walter Sisulu (TONY KGOROGE), Ahmed Kathrada (RIAAD MOOSA), Raymond Mhlaba (ZOLANI MKIVA) and Govan Mbeki (FANA MOKOENA).
Convicted of crimes against the government, they're sentenced to life in prison on Robben Island and later transferred to Pollsmoor Prison eighteen years later. While their resolve remains steadfast, Nelson begins to change his hardcore views as he sees a bright future ahead for his people and South Africa. From that point on and as the years continue to pass, he does what he can to make that a reality, all while Winnie becomes an increasingly militant figure in the ANC.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Those interested in the life and times of Nelson Mandela might show some interest. Otherwise, it doesn't seem too likely.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For some intense sequences of violence and disturbing images, sexual content and brief strong language.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2017 Screen It, Inc.