(2013) (Joaquin Phoenix, Scarlett Johansson) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Sci-Fi/Drama: A lonely writer in the not-so-distant future ends up falling in love with his sentient computer operating system.
- It's the not-so-distant future and Theodore Twombly (JOAQUIN PHOENIX) is a man living in a skyscraper filled Los Angeles. He works writing letters, love notes and so on for people who don't have the time, means or desire to do so themselves. He's quite good at that, something admired by the company's happy-go-lucky receptionist, Paul (CHRIS PRATT).
But things aren't so good for Theodore on the personal front. His marriage to Catherine (ROONEY MARA) is all but over, with just the divorce papers needing to be signed. His married neighbor friends, Amy (AMY ADAMS) and Charles (MATT LETSCHER), hope he'll find happiness and a new woman in his life, but a phone sex call and unrelated blind date don't go well.
He does, however, find a kindred spirit in his computer's operating system. Named Samantha (voice of SCARLETT JOHANSSON), she's a complex array of programming designed to be sentient, something that allows her to observe Theodore and quickly attempt to solve his problems with the efficiency of a computer but warmth of a real human personality. They find that they're kindred spirits of sorts and eventually begin an unorthodox relationship, including falling in love and having virtual sex.
But like any relationship, the honeymoon phase ends and small issues begin to arise. With that including her continuing to evolve in her mixture of computer and human characteristics and abilities, the future of their romance comes into doubt.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Preteens likely won't, but mid to older teens might show an interest, especially if they're fans of anyone in the cast or the film's director.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language, sexual content and brief graphic nudity.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.