(2013) (Ethan Hawke, Selena Gomez) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Action/Thriller: When his wife is kidnapped, a former race car driver is forced to commandeer a young woman's car and ends up taking her along for the ride as he must follow the kidnapper's directions.
- Brent Magna (ETHAN HAWKE) is a former professional race car driver who burned out of that sport and turned to being a driver for hire, sometimes for illegal pursuits. But now he's given all of that up to spend time with his wife, Leanne (REBECCA BUDIG), in their home in Sofia, Bulgaria. When he returns home right before Christmas, he finds the place ransacked and Leanne gone. He then gets a call from The Voice (voice of JON VOIGHT) who informs Brent that if he doesn't follow his every direction, he'll kill his wife.
The first is to steal a Shelby Cobra and lead the local police on a wild chase that endangers lots of people's lives. Due to cameras mounted inside and on the car and by using a GPS tracker, The Voice is able to know exactly where Brent is and what he's doing, all while occasionally giving him vocal commands via calls to the car's phone service. Things get more complicated when The Kid (SELENA GOMEZ) seemingly tries to carjack Brent at gunpoint. He's able to disarm her and The Voice instructs Brent that he must now take The Kid along with him.
From that point on and following additional commands that lead to new quests, Brent and The Kid form an unlikely and initially antagonistic partnership as they try to figure out who The Voice is and what he wants, all while hoping to keep Leanne alive.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- They might if they're fans of Hawke or Gomez and/or films featuring chase scenes and fast cars.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For intense action, violence and mayhem throughout, some rude gestures, and language.
To continue reading the review and all of the highly detailed, scene-by-scene listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories):
I have subscribed to ScreenIt for more than a decade. I check in every week to take advantage of their amazing services. Not only does their site provide a glimpse of exactly what content a movie offers, I've found the “Our Take” reviews and ratings for each movie to be right on the money every single time. I've referred dozens of friends to this service because my #1 resource for deciding whether or not to show a movie to my kids, or to see one myself, is ScreenIt.com!
Director, State of CA Public Sector
I signed up to get Screen It weekly reviews a long time ago, when my kids were young and I wanted to know more about movies before we went to a theater or rented. Now one child is in law school, other in undergraduate, and I still read the weekly Screen Its! It helps me know what my husband and I want to see or rent, and what to have waiting at home that we all will enjoy when my "kids" come home. I depend on Screen It reviews. They usually just present the facts and let me decide if the movie is appropriate or of interest for my family and me. Thank you for providing that service, Screen It!
Winston Salem, NC
I have 4 children who are now in college. I signed up for Screen It when my children were pre-teenagers. Often my children would ask to see a movie with a friend and I wished I could preview the movie prior to giving permission. A friend told me about ScreenIt.com and I found it to be the next best thing to previewing a movie. The amount of violence, sexual content, or language were always concerns for me and my husband as we raised innocent kids with morals. We constantly fought the peer pressure our kids received to see films that in our opinion were questionable. With the evidence we received at Screen It, our kids couldn't even fight us when we felt a film may have been inappropriate for them to watch. Thank you, Screen It. Continue to make this helpful service available to everyone, but especially the young parents.
Machesney Park, IL
Screenit.com is an amazing resource for parents, educators, church groups or anyone who wants to make an informed decision whether a movie is suitable for their viewing. The reviews and content descriptions are so detailed I am mystified how the reviewers can put them together.
I love screen It! I don't know what I would do without it. It is well worth the membership. Before we take our son to the movies we check it out on screen it first. Thank you SO much for making it. Keep up the good work & keep 'em coming!!!
Moreno Valley California
Other new reviews available this week include:
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2016 Screen It, Inc.